356 Government St cemeteries@mobarch.org (251)434-1557

St. Margaret's Cemetery - Montgomery

Location Address:
North Side of Upper Wetumpka Rd
 in Oakwood Cemetery
(829 Columbus St., Montgomery, AL 36104)

Mailing Address:
Catholic Cemeteries, Inc.
356 Government St.
Mobile, AL 36602

Telephone: (251) 434-1557
E-mail: cemeteries@mobarch.org

Director: Ms. Frankie Young

According to the History of Oakwood Cemetery, the City of Montgomery, Alabama purchased or was given various parcels of land between the years of 1810 and 1855 for the city burial ground known as Oakwood Cemetery. 

In 1863, the City of Montgomery sold to the Roman Catholic Bishop of the Diocese of Mobile approximately 6 acres of the city burial ground for a grave yard for the Catholic Congregation of Montgomery.  The Catholic cemetery was blessed by the Roman Catholic Bishop and named St. Margaret’s Cemetery. (See actual Resolution of the sale, from our archives, HERE.)

Through various land purchases and land swaps beginning in 1946 and continuing through 2017, the Archdiocese of Mobile acquired additional acreage in the Oakwood Cemetery from the City of Montgomery to attain the current acreage of approximately 8 acres of land on the North side of Upper Wetumpka Road in the Oakwood Cemetery. (Read the story of the land swaps between the Archdiocese and the City of Montgomery, HERE.)